With the seasons changing from summer to autumn, September can bring with it darker days, a lowering in temperature, more rain and the beginning of leaves falling off the trees. Even though this burst of new autumn colour in the landscape is a sight to behold, the colder weather, darker mornings and evenings and lack of sun can leave you feeling a little on the blue side. In fact, some people get this to such an extent it is called S.A.D (seasonal affective disorder).
So how can we help to ward off those September blues? Try a scented candle. Research shows that scent has an effect on mood and can alleviate feelings of stress, helping towards making you feel more relaxed and in turn happier.
It is clear that the right scents can be really beneficial in helping to lift your mood. So here are our favourites to stave off those September blues.
1) Orange Grove - Packed with citrus fruits to fight off those September blues. Oranges the main fragrance in this candle, and just smelling this zesty fruit can remind us of the warm sun. Packed full of vitamin C, orange oil has been sought after for centuries for its immune boosting effects. Orange essential oil can have an affect on the olfactory system in the brain and help to balance hormones and aid you in de-stressing. Orange scent is both uplifting and calming, making it a great scent to help brighten your mood or calm your nerves at the end of a long day.
2) Mango & Citrus - A fruit hit to take you back to the warmer weather. Imagine you are back in those summer days, soaking up the sunshine, surrounded by scents of juicy fruits. This candle has fresh notes of lemongrass, zesty Italian lemons and Thai lime leading through to notes of mouth watering pineapple, juicy watermelon, sharp grapefruit and ending with vibrant mango. The lemongrass in this fruity fragrance is stimulating, relaxing, soothing, and balancing. The citrus fruits are not only a good pick me up for a low mood and helping to calm stress but they are also a natural air deodoriser.
3) Oudh Luxe - Let this scent help your mood by transporting you to the blue seas and spicy heat of the mediterranean and the far east. This powerful scent is both mystical and mesmerising. A luxuriously rich and complex fragrance. A middle eastern favourite on a base of spicy cedar and soothing sandalwood. Carefully layered with rose, geranium, jasmine, praline and clove. Completed with notes of vetiver, amber, musk, vanilla, patchouli and raspberry. The notes of vanilla and jasmine especially help to alleviate stress and boost mood with the added effect of the spices like clove which helps to increase energy levels.
4) Vanilla Noir - This candles fragrance is a complex mix of aromas. Vanilla, being the main scent harmonises with nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, dried fruits and a hint of lime, the fragrance finishes with a touch of coriander and subtle oriental flowers. Vanilla being one of the most loved scents, is a natural aid to balance mood. It aids in creating a calming effect on the brain, which can help with anger, insomnia, stress and anxiety.
5) Dutch Apple - To compliment the leaves falling off the trees in these autumn months and the fruit harvests, this candle has comforting scents of creamy butter pastry, spiced caramelised apples infused with cinnamon, plump raisins, juicy plums and fresh, zesty lemon peel. This scent is good to trigger a positive mood and give you that warm and cozy feeling. The aroma of cinnamon promotes a relaxed feel to the room and helps detoxify the air. The baking fragrances filling the room allow you to feel homely and calm, enjoying the sweet apple and spice.
Skylark Candles is an artisan candle-maker dedicated to producing high-quality, scented 100% soy candles for you to enjoy. www.skylarkcandles.com